Wednesday, June 27, 2007

5 Things I Dig About Jesus

I am honored to have been tagged by Alyce and Bryan and these are the rules as they were written:
1. Those tagged will share 5 things they dig about Jesus.
2. Those tagged will tag 5 other bloggers.
3. Those tagged will provide a link in the comment section so that others can read them.

Here are the 5 things I most dig about Jesus:

1. I dig the way He blows my mind. "'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him'- but God has revealed it to us by His Spirit" (1 Cor 2:9-10). Jesus expands my mind and inspires my imagination.

2. The way He created a natural world so accommodating, even while fallen. While natural disasters and wildlife aggression are always a risk, they are for now anomalies. Not only is nature beautiful to behold, but we even make sport of it, sailing frisbees and kites on His wind, surfing and swimming in the therapeutic salt water of His oceans, climbing rocks and snowboarding mountains and hiking forests. "Worship Him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water" (Rev 14:7)

3. I dig the way He makes Holy God my friend. Almighty Yahweh, who said "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live" (Exodus 33:20), was also "pleased to have all His fullness dwell in (Jesus), and through Him reconcile to Himself all things" (Colossians 1:19-20). Jesus our mediator brings us into the presence of God, and calls us His friend (John 15).

4. The way He makes us a family. I enjoy crossing paths with otherwise random strangers to discover they are my brother or sister in His kingdom. We are unified by a common focus and mission in Him. We are a kind of free-floating community of love when at our best, frequently unwittingly appointed to encourage or exhort one another at just the right time, according to His purposes. To have opportunity to fellowship with some of His most divinely inspired has been an adventure for me. "But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin" (1 John 1:7)

5. I dig the way Jesus is making me better. "No one who lives in Him keeps on sinning" (1 John 3:6). I'm excited about that.


All my friends have been tagged except Mervey. I am tagging Mervey.

3 comments:

Alyce Faulkner said...

I knew your answers would be insightful and new.
They are.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough those are the exact reasons why I dig hallucinogenic drugs.

Greg said...

Jacob,
Not so odd. Similarities exist, though probably only in language. The one who seeks in Jesus something as experiential as self-induced psychosis is misled and will probably be disappointed. So I certainly had no intentions of implying here that if you like drugs you should try Jesus.
The beautiful difference is that I don't need the artificial enlightenment of psychedelic drugs to be amazed at the goodness of God,or to enjoy his creation, or to feel love for strangers. Meaning in life is not a delusion when found in God rather than instant gratification. Besides, drugs don't save us from hell. Lay off that stuff dear friend. Brains are fragile.
Greg